Monday, June 30, 2014

Fire Cracker Décor!

Fourth of July is right around the corner and I thought these wooden homemade fire crackers are perfect to decorate our home in red, white and blue. They were fairly simple to make but I had to enlist the help of my husband to use the power tools.
We bought cedar wooden fence posts from the local farm supply store. They came in 6’ lengths so we cut them down to sizes 22”, 18” and 14”. You can get 2 sets out of one fence post.
Next, I primed the raw cedar wood to give it its nice white base color.
Next tape off your stripes. And paint the red lines. Let dry.
Remove the tape and paint the blue top for the stars. Let dry.
Paint as many stars on the front side of the fire cracker. I chose to do a single simple star. Less is more.
Add a second coat of paint to all colors as needed. The red paint bled through my tape so I had to retouch that. 
Drill a ½” hole on the top of the fire cracker and place a ½” rope for the wick inside. I used a little hot glue to ensure that the wick would stay in place.
Finally, use a little twine to tie the 3 fire crackers together and proudly display your patriotic décor.

Have a safe and Happy Fourth of July!


1 comment: