Sunday, May 3, 2015

Baby Quilt for Baby Schuetzle

I am obsessed with fabric. I love pretty patterns. When I saw this fat quarter bundle at the Quilt Locker in Pierre, I couldn't help but lock it down. I loved all of the pretty nursery fabrics and colors and thought they would be perfect for baby quilts. The idea, is to make each of my sister's a baby quilt using their choice color patter for their first baby (and hey, if I have enough fabric let alone time, I would make one for each baby!)




I have done a chevron pattern before and thought it would be perfect for a baby quilt. My brother and sister-in-law are expecting in June and I wanted to get this quilt going. The overall size is a square 42" x 42". Their color theme is "SDSU" Yellow and Blue and since they are waiting to see what the gender is till their precious baby arrives, it s a great gender neutral color scheme. The blocks were cut square 8"x8". I needed 18 white blocks, 12 blue blocks and 6 yellow blocks. There is a trick when making the chevron triangles that I hope to show you in a blog post soon, but you can watch the trick in youtube videos here. I used 3 fat quarters of the blue and yellow and was able to get 4 blocks out of each quarter since the fabric measures 18"x22" typically. I got the top pieced together quick enough, between my sewing machine breaking twice! But got it to the Quilt Locker for the quilting right in the nick of time. I added a yellow matching backing fabric, you'll need 1.25 yards and .333 yards of a binding fabric, cut into 2.5 inch strips. 





Super cute for Baby Schuetzle! He or She will love it and hopefully they know Auntie Lo loves them! 



No comments:

Post a Comment